Consolidation of the company and conversion to a PLC
The structure of the company gradually took shape in the 1950s and, in 1960, it became a public limited company. This period saw the beginning of a new stage of consolidation of the Irizar product and the opening of new markets.
In addition to beginning to manufacture the first coaches for customers in the Basque Country, Irizar began expanding into Madrid, Barcelona, Malaga and Seville.
The importance of design began to be apparent by the year 1956, when the first units were manufactured with a new Pegaso chassis with a diesel engine.
This fact was evident with the completion in 1957 of a modern coachwork for Auto-Pullman noted for its innovative design.
Between 1955 and 1960, the Irizar company not only produced increasingly evolved coachwork for intercity buses, but also made a name for itself in the developing city bus market. Irizar expanded its clientèle, renovating original English double-decker buses for the San Sebastian Tramway Company.